From: Paul Hoy <paul.hoy@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:57:07
1 On Aug 21, 2005, at 4:05 PM, Jerry McBride wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 14 August 2005 03:42 pm, Paul Hoy wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi all,
6 >>
7 >> This email isn't intended to troll, but to explore Linux variants
8 >> that share certain characteristics.
12 > Nice way to introduce yourself on a distribution support
13 > maillist.... :')
14 >
15 I'm sorry that you find the idea of exploring "Linux variants that
16 share certain characteristics" so inflammatory and out-of-place on a
17 Linux mailing list.
18 >
19 >> I really like Gentoo and I like that fact that it does a pretty good
20 >> job at supporting Gnome, however, it's still behind other releases,
21 >> such as Fedora, in terms of when it releases updates, etc.
25 > Huh?
26 >
27 A-huh. See http://fedoraproject.org/infofeed/
28 >
29 >> Linux from Scratch looks very interesting: it appears to rapidly
30 >> support the latest updates and it has decent documentation. Does any
31 >> one have any perspectives on Linux from Scratch, from a Gentoo point-
32 >> of-view? Does anyone wish to share a comparison of the two?
36 > Yeah, sure... Gentoo is more fun.
37 >
38 > As for being "behind other releases"... you gotta-be-kiddin....
39
40 See: http://fedoraproject.org/infofeed/
41 See random list provided to another member on this list
45 > What and where EXACTLY is gentoo behind any other release?
46 >
47 gcc
48 openoffice
49 mysql
50 php
51 etc, etc
55 > --
56 >
57 > **********************************************************************
58 > ********
59 > Registered Linux User Number 185956
60 > FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
61 > Join me in chat at #linux-users on irc.freenode.net
62 > Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses
63 > $150.00!
64 > 4:46pm up 27 days, 16:45, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00,
65 > 0.00
66 > --
67 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
72 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list