From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing python packages for different versions
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:53:43
1 Mike Kazantsev schrieb:
2 > On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:03:58 +0200
3 > Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
4 >
5 > ...
6 >> Thanks for your answer but I have to say, this looks like a really
7 >> cumbersome workaround. Wouldn't it be better to make portage and
8 >> python-updater aware of this problem?
9 >>
10 >> The update from python-2.4 to 2.5 was a minor one with only a few
11 >> incompatible packages. What shall happen when we stabilize 3.0? We'll
12 >> run into orders of magnitude more problems than we did till now if we
13 >> keep it as it is!
14 >>
15 >> Do you think I should open a bug for this?
16 >
17 [...]
18 >
19 > Installing every package for each compatible python on system if some
20 > use-flag like "multislot" is enabled (it might also be impossible for
21 > some pkgs, which also sit in share/bin/lib) look better and somewhat
22 > easier - just a eselech switch flip and +x (un)installs.
23 >
24 > I wonder, what do you have in mind?
27 I don't know. I'm not a python dev. Therefore I might not understand
28 every aspect of the problem. I thought about something like this:
29
30 eselect maintains a list of all enabled python slots and a primary one,
31 not just the primary one like now. If nothing else is specified, every
32 program uses this primary python version (just like now). Portage
33 installs or symlinks all files which end up in the site-packages
34 directory in the respective directories for every python slot enabled by
35 eselect.
36
37 python-updater could be augmented to do the necessary rebuilds when a
38 new version is added or an old one removed from the list.