From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT: 'profit motive' - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 20:03:33
1 On 2014-02-21 2:35 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > Tanstaafl:
3 >> On 2014-02-21 12:17 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> Then you ignore self-destructive behaviour which is a common
5 >>> thing in this world. It can even be intentional, causing no
6 >>> emotional, financial, social or intellectual profit. Maybe you
7 >>> have never met such a person or have never been in such an
8 >>> environment.
9
10 >> You are confusing 'intent' with 'result'.
11
12 > No. You are confusing yourself with the rest of the world.
13
14 Not really, but whatever...
15
16 >> Even self-destructive behavior is in the vast majority of cases
17 >> engaged in with the *intention* of profit. Best example I can think
18 >> of would be a drug addict/alcoholic. When they use/drink, they
19 >> 'profit' in that the feel better (albeit temporarily), regardless
20 >> of the ultimate result.
21
22 > I wasn't really talking about drug addicts.
23
24 You said 'self-destructive', so I just used the best 'self-destructive'
25 reference I could think of...
26
27 > If you are interested in real self-destructive behaviour, talk to
28 > someone who has worked in an asylum which is only one interesting
29 > environment that can make you think very different about "people".
30
31 Ok, well, I wasn't talking about the truly *insane*, and it is
32 disingenuous to use them as any kind of example in comparison to 'the
33 rest of us'...
34
35 > There are even people who are not driven by anything, not even
36 > self-destruction. Pure apathy.
37
38 I guarantee they are driven by more than that... often something as
39 simple as 'comfort' (they would only get up in arms if you take away
40 their TV and potato chips)...
41
42 > Another interesting thing... talk to a trial lawyer who has been in
43 > that business for 10+ years. I really doubt that many of those will
44 > support your "profit intention" concept. Most of the time it's about
45 > short-cut reactions that are merely following instincts or emotional
46 > impulses. Strong emotions can make someone lose control and do all
47 > sorts of weird things without any hope or intention of
48 > improving/gaining anything for living it out.
49
50 Again, you ignore the different meanings of 'profit' and 'intent'.
51 Following instincts or emotional impulses is *still* operating on the
52 same principle. The profit (benefit) they get may be as simple as 'less
53 pain', but it is still a benefit (profit).
54
55 > It's chemistry, it changes your consciousness. "Profit" is a bit more
56 > complex and requires a minimum amount of reflection, even if it is
57 > subconscious, short sighted and follows false assumptions.
58
59 Not at all. A bull 'profits' by moving when the cattle prod is jammed up
60 his ass.
61
62 > So these are just 3 points why your generalization does not work,
63
64 Actually, they all serve to *support* my generalizations... if you are
65 in fact honest enough to admit it.