From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New PC, new boot concepts
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 16:52:11
1 On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Old dogs and new tricks springs to mind. I am building a new PC and what with
4 > UEFI, APUs and SSDs, it feels like that the world has moved a long way since
5 > the last time I had to install gentoo.
6 >
7 > I'll be taking my time to google, read and make appropriate selections, so
8 > please bear with me while I start relevant threads as necessary to complement
9 > my sparse knowledge in these topics. Starting from the top, with this thread
10 > I am trying to find out what is considered good practice as far as UEFI/MBR
11 > and boot management goes.
12 >
13 > The MoBo is capable of booting in CMS mode, but I am not sure if there are any
14 > benefits in creating a 2MB partition for a conventional MBR bootloader, or I
15 > should forego MBR altogether and go directly with a GPT FAT32 EFI System
16 > Partition (ESP).
17 >
18 > If the latter is the way to go and I forget all things I ever learned about
19 > MBR, does the 550MB FAT32 ESP partition have to be at the beginning of the
20 > drive?
21 >
22 > Is it beneficial to install a Linux boot loader/manager like GRUB2, or rEFInd,
23 > etc., or should I just use the kernel EFI Boot Stub to boot gentoo with? The
24 > PC will single boot in Gentoo, although I may drop in a sysrescuecd image for
25 > recovery purposes and would be nice to be able to boot this straight off the
26 > disk, without having to burn it on a CDROM. Is it simply a matter of adding
27 > the LiveCD iso in the ESP with a .efi suffix, or will I need to use efibootmgr
28 > to inform the UEFI about *any* kernel images in the ESP other than the default
29 > EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi?
30
31 For refind and gummiboot, you have to enable the efi boot stub because
32 they're boot managers, rather than boot loaders like grub.
33
34 If you want to use the efi boot stub, whether directly or via
35 gummiboot or refind, you have to have the kernel (and initramfs if it
36 exists) on a fat partition. Unlike with bios firmware, you can have
37 them all co-exist.
38
39 AFAIK only grub can boot from an iso file. You have to have a
40 "loopback loop path_to_iso_file" line (which I think of as a "mount -o
41 loop ...") in that iso's menuentry stanza. And its "linux ..." line
42 will be dependent on the iso from which you're booting. The
43 systemrescue iso needs either "findiso=..." or "isoloop=...", I've
44 forgotten.