From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A week of struggle
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:10:22
1 On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:48:06 +0100
2 econti <contiemilio@×××××.it> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 > as the subject says! ;-)
6 > Now my system should be updated. gcc, world and, to-day, the kernel.
7 > Well, everything seems to work fine . . . but:
8 >
9 > 1 among the boot options I had "vga=0x317". Now this option gives me:
10 > "You passed an undefined mode number."
11 > "Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue
12 > or wait 30 secs.
13 > "Video adapter: VESA VGA"
14 > "Mode: COLSxROWS:
15 > 0 0F00 80 x 25
16 > 1 0F01 80 x 50
17 > 2 0F02 80 x 43
18 > 3 0F03 80 x 28
19 > 4 0F05 80 x 30
20 > 5 0F06 80 x 34
21 > 6 0F07 80 x 60"
22 > Why this? What have I forgotten in kernel configuration?
23
24 not exactly sure, but I'd look under menuconfig-> Device Drivers->
25 Graphics support. In particular:
26 <*> VESA VGA graphics support
27 VESA driver type (vesafb) (use vesafb-tng on 32-bit)
28 Console display driver support --->
29 [*] Video mode selection support (you already have this i think)
30 <*> Framebuffer Console support (you probably have this already)
31
32 > 2 (this is really incredible) fonts disappeared on the Realplayer ->
33 > Graphics support window!!!!! Instead of chars . . . boxes. i.e. file
34 > = 4 boxes,settings = 7 boxes, etc ??????
35 > Realplayer works fine but it is the only one app with this problem.
36
37 I had the same problem with firefox-bin not so long ago. I created a
38 forum thread about it:
39 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4185590.html#4185590
40
41 don't know if it'll help or not.