From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: lembark@×××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-user] Q: pp requires --uesr option t hat doesn't exist?
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 20:54:20
1 This should have been simple: Install AWS client command line tools.
2 Catch: Installing it with AWS' example tells me to use the "--user"
3 option, though not why, and supplying --user with or without an
4 argument tells me there is no such switch.
5
6 I'd prefer not maintaining this stuff as SU, rather set up a group
7 with access to the necessary libarary areas in Python.
8
9 $ pip install awscli
10 ERROR: (Gentoo) Please run pip with the --user option to avoid breaking python-exec
11
12 $ pip --user install awscli
13
14 Usage:
15 pip <command> [options]
16
17 no such option: --user
18
19 $ pip --user=lembark install awscli
20
21 Usage:
22 pip <command> [options]
23
24 no such option: --user
25
26 Examining the output from "pip --help" gives me lots of no "--user"
27 in the output, which makes sense if there are no users. Using
28 "--verbose" didn't tell me anything useful either.
29
30 Say I want users in the "adm" group to maintain the Python libs,
31 I'll need to ( find <someplace> | xargs chgrp adm; find <someplace>
32 -type d | xargs chmod 02775; find <someplace> -type f | xargs
33 chmod g+w ).
34
35 Q: Whare are the python lib's stored?
36
37 Python itself only tells me:
38
39 $ python -V
40 Python 3.4.5
41
42 not the paths.
43
44 Or, for that matter, does anyone know how to avoid the "--user"
45 requirement using pip?
46
47 thanks
50 Steven Lembark 1505 National Ave
51 Workhorse Computing Rockford, IL 61103
52 lembark@×××××××.com +1 888 359 3508