From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Use split to break up a 10GB file binary?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 18:07:14
1 On Mon, Jun 20 2011, Paul Hartman wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>   Is split an appropriate program to use to break a single 10GB file
6 >> into 100 100MB files to transfer over the net using rsync, and then
7 >> use cat to reassemble?
8 >
9 > I think it should work just fine. I've split huge files into huge
10 > chunks and never had any issues.
11 >
12 >>   Is there some better way to do this?
13 >
14 > I wonder if splitting is even necessary; rsync will analyze the file
15 > and only transmit the differences, right?. So I'd think that even if
16 > the transfer fails, a retry would pick up where it left off (assuming
17 > rsync keeps the failed copy).
18
19 I believe that is the --partial option.
20
21 allan