From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Amount" of fstrim? (curiosity driven, no paranoia :)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 19:17:52
1 On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 3:07 PM antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 27/04/2020 17:59, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > Really though a better solution than any of this is for the filesystem
5 > > to be more SSD-aware and just only perform writes on entire erase
6 > > regions at one time. If the drive is told to write blocks 1-32 then
7 > > it can just blindly erase their contents first because it knows
8 > > everything there is getting overwritten anyway. Likewise a filesystem
9 > > could do its own wear-leveling also, especially on something like
10 > > flash where the cost of fragmentation is not high. I'm not sure how
11 > > well either zfs or ext4 perform in these roles. Obviously a solution
12 > > like f2fs designed for flash storage is going to excel here.
13 >
14 > The problem here is "how big is an erase region". I've heard comments
15 > that it is several megs.
16
17 I imagine most SSDs aren't that big, though SMR drives probably are
18 that and more.
19
20 But I agree - for anything like this to work it really needs to be a
21 host-managed solution ideally, or at least one where the vendor has
22 published specs on how to align writes/etc.
25 Rich