From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommended VPN Tunnel client?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:22:09
1 On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Feb 11, 2012 12:42 AM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > On Feb 11, 2012 12:16 AM, "Michael Orlitzky" <michael@××××××××.com>
8 >> > wrote:
9 >> >>
10 >> >> On 02/10/12 11:46, Pandu Poluan wrote:
11 >> >> >
12 >> >> > On Feb 10, 2012 10:08 PM, "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com
13 >> >> > <mailto:michaelkintzios@×××××.com>> wrote:
14 >> >> >>
15 >> >> >> > >
16 >> >> >> > > The need: a VPN client that:
17 >> >> >> > > + can selectively send packets fulfilling a criteria (in this
18 >> >> > case, dest=
19 >> >> >> > > IP address of internal server)*
20 >> >> >>
21 >> >> >> As far as I know typical VPNs require the IP address (or FQDN) of
22 >> >> >> the
23 >> >> >> VPN
24 >> >> >> gateway.  If yours changes because ISP A goes down then the tunnel
25 >> >> > will fail
26 >> >> >> and be torn down.
27 >> >>
28 >> >> I must have missed the original message. OpenVPN can do this. Just
29 >> >> specify multiple "remote vpn.example.com" lines in your client configs,
30 >> >> one for each VPN server.
31 >> >>
32 >> >> It also handles updating the routing table for you. Rather than match
33 >> >> "IP address of internal server," it will match "IP address on internal
34 >> >> network" and route through the VPN automatically.
35 >> >>
36 >> >
37 >> > I'm still torn between OpenVPN and HAproxy. The former works with both
38 >> > TCP
39 >> > and UDP, while the latter is lighter and simpler but works with TCP
40 >> > only*.
41 >> >
42 >> > *The traffic will be pure TCP, but who knows I might need a UDP tunnel
43 >> > in
44 >> > the future.
45 >> >
46 >> > Any experience with either?
47 >> >
48 >> > Do note that I don't actually need a strong security (e.g. IPsec); I
49 >> > just
50 >> > need automatic failover *and* fallback.
51 >>
52 >> We're not using multiple internet connections to the same network
53 >> where I work, but we do use UDP-based OpenVPN to connect a few
54 >> networks.
55 >>
56 >> TCP OpenVPN connections are very, very bad, IMO. With a TCP VPN, you
57 >> easily break systems' TCP stacks' link bandwidth estimation. I once
58 >> had a 30s ping time, because the pipe was hogged and backlogged from a
59 >> mail client synchronizing.
62 > No, no, no. What I meant was running TCP and UDP *on top of* OpenVPN (which
63 > uses UDP).
64 >
65 > HAproxy seems to be able to perform its magic with TCP connections.
66
67 That's what I was talking about. Where I work, we use OpenVPN,
68 operating in UDP mode. This is after several bad experiences using it
69 in TCP mode.
70
71 By "UDP mode" and "TCP mode", I mean OpenVPN's connections to other
72 OpenVPN nodes were in UDP or TCP, respectively. When OpenVPN's
73 connections operate over TCP (and thus it gets guarantee'd delivery),
74 you can create a situation where a tunneled TCP connection attempts to
75 push data faster than your Internet connection can allow because it
76 never gets any congestion feedback; OpenVPN was accepting packets
77 faster than it could shove them through, and was buffering the rest.
78
79 In the situation I encountered, I was syncing my email over the vpn,
80 but I couldn't quickly reach any internal services; their response
81 time got slower and slower until I bounced my openvpn daemon (breaking
82 any outstanding tunneled TCP connections), but then they rapidly
83 degraded again. Towards the end, I discovered I had a non-tunneled
84 ping time of <100 ms, but a tunneled ping time of 30m.
85
86 If HAProxy is smart about congestion management, you shouldn't see
87 this behavior. If not, you may.
90 :wq