From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE4 first impressions
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:54:22
1 Built KDE4 last night, it took about 4.5 hours total and built without
2 failures. To be safe, I created a new user for testing purposes and
3 logged out of my own account. I use entrance as my dm and I find an
4 entry for kde-4 in the list of sessions available. So far so good.
5
6 First impression: kde4 starts up fast. I had gotten used to waiting up
7 to 30 seconds for the splash screen to get through everything it needs
8 to.
9
10 Konsole works, both 3.5 and 4.0 I don;t get the slow scrolling issue
11 another user reported.
12 Konqueror works, now I have to recreate my custom settings that I have
13 grown used to.
14 Kontact works properly and so does the kmail component.
15 kmail on it's own does not work. wtf is up with that anyway?
16 kopete, amarok all work.
17
18 The oxygen theme is a vast improvement over Plastik.
19 I'm still undecided about the default menu, it looks a little in the
20 style of XP which I can't stand. I know it''s not the same and maybe
21 just a knee-jerk so I'm holding off before coming to an opinion.
22
23 All in all, a very nice point-0 point-0 release. After using it for a
24 few hours, I can understand what all the hype was about :-)
28 Alan McKinnon
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
30 --
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list