From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seamonkey and saving images taking so long
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 06:20:38
1 Aleksey V. Kunitskiy wrote:
2 > On Saturday 30 June 2007 08:29, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Any ideas? Is it Seamonkey or something else?
5 >>
6 >> Thanks for any help.
7 >>
8 >> Dale
9 >>
10 >> :-) :-)
13 > You can check how much processor time takes kernel(top or htop) - if kernel
14 > loads cpu too much then it is probably fs io.
18 I have used top and it appears to be Seamonkey using the CPU so much.
19 However, it is getting slower and slower as I download pics or get them
20 off my camera. It now takes almost 15 seconds to save a picture on this
21 thing. Right now there is about 9.4Gbs on there and about 40,000 files
22 and almost 900 directories all on a separate partition. I'm getting
23 suspicious of the drive or that something is goofy with the kernel
24 settings. I searched through /var/log/messages and I saw no errors
25 regarding that drive at all. I do have that smart thing installed. I
26 see where it changes temps but that is it. No errors that I can find on
27 any drive.
28
29 This is the screen for the IDE drive section of my kernel:
30
31 > │ │ <*> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
32 > support │ │
33 > │ │ <*> Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy
34 > support │ │
35 > │ │ --- Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on
36 > IDE drives │ │
37 > │ │ <*> Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK
38 > support │ │
39 > │ │ [*] Use multi-mode by
40 > default │ │
41 > │ │ <*> Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM
42 > support │ │
43 > │ │ --- IDE chipset
44 > support/bugfixes │ │
45 > │ │ <*> generic/default IDE chipset
46 > support │ │
47 > │ │ [*] PCI IDE chipset
48 > support │ │
49 > │ │ [*] Sharing PCI IDE interrupts
50 > support │ │
51 > │ │ <*> Generic PCI IDE Chipset
52 > Support │ │
53 > │ │ <*> RZ1000 chipset
54 > bugfix/support │ │
55 > │ │ [*] Generic PCI bus-master DMA
56 > support │ │
57 > │ │ [*] Use PCI DMA by default when
58 > available │ │
59 > │ │ <*> AMD and nVidia IDE
60 > support │ │
61
62 All the removed ones are disabled. This rig has a Abit NF7 ver 2.0
63 mobo. I am using this kernel:
64
65 > root@smoker / # uname -r
66 > 2.6.20-gentoo-r8
67 > root@smoker / #
68
69 It would appear that my settings and that DMA is working fine. Here is
70 the timings from hdparm:
71
72 > root@smoker / # hdparm -Tt /dev/hdb
73 >
74 > /dev/hdb:
75 > Timing cached reads: 936 MB in 2.00 seconds = 467.99 MB/sec
76 > Timing buffered disk reads: 144 MB in 3.02 seconds = 47.70 MB/sec
77 > root@smoker / #
78
79 I have gkrellm installed and there doesn't seem to be any major drive
80 activity when I am doing this. I'm not copying something or even
81 playing a CD while doing this so I wouldn't think it was "busy" doing
82 something else.
83
84 I'm open to ideas. If you need more info, let me know. May even try a
85 newer kernel too. :/
86
87 Thanks for any help you all can provide. Me stumped, which is normal
88 for me. lol
89
90 Dale
91