From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is this cruft in my /tmp?
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 05:31:34
1 060722 Mick wrote:
2 > I noticed in /tmp a rather large number of files of the type:
3 > prw------- 1 root root 0 Jun 29 23:13 sh-np-1151622697
4 > prw------- 1 root root 0 Jun 29 17:44 sh-np-1151623392
5 > prw------- 1 root root 0 Jun 29 17:44 sh-np-1151623817
6 > prw------- 1 root root 0 Jun 29 23:13 sh-np-1151630251
7 > prw------- 1 root root 0 Jun 29 19:41 sh-np-1151630339
8 > prw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 1 01:14 sh-np-1151697722
9 > prw------- 1 root root 0 Jun 30 21:28 sh-np-1151698413
10 > Are these some process calls that were cought in the /tmp
11 > when perhaps the machine crashed some time in the past
12 > or when I might have shutdown with screen running in the background ?
13 > Can/should I delete them?
14
15 Google for 'sh-np' found :
16
17 http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-programming-scripting/37618-tmp-sh-np-xxxxxx-interrupted-system-call.html
18
19 It looks like part of the calculation of dependences.
20 I have a long list roughly daily from 050213-611 ,
21 so it mb related to some version of the Kernel (cp discussion above).
22
23 The File Hierarchy System is the rulebook for the purpose of files/dirs :
24
25 http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#TMPTEMPORARYFILES
26
27 "Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp
28 are preserved between invocations of the program ...
29 it is recommended that files and directories located in /tmp
30 be deleted whenever the system is booted".
31
32 NB /var/tmp is different :
33
34 http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARTMPTEMPORARYFILESPRESERVEDBETWEE
35
36 "The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
37 temporary files or directories that are preserved between system reboots".
38
39 So if Gentoo follows FHS rules, it sb safe to delete any file/dir in /tmp
40 which was not created at/after the latest system reboot.
41 However, don't do that with anything in /var/tmp .
42
43 Anyone want to confirm/amend/deny any of this (smile) ?
47 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
48 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
49 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list