From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: new printer suggestions?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 15:56:11
1 Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > Are you saying that you were able to print to your brother printers by
5 > > more or less following these steps:
6 > > 1. buy a computer, install gentoo
7 > > 2. buy a brother printer, plug it into computer via usb
8 > > 3. emerge net-print/cups and net-print/foomatic-filters
9 > > 4. Visit the local cups webpage, add new printer, select "brother"
10 > > 5. print
11
12 > > Notably missing from my list is a visit to brother's website (or any
13 > > other website) to download drivers/binaries/confs/etc.
14
15 > More or less. The Brother printers happen to be attached to a Debian
16 > box, but the Gentoo box doesn't require any additional drivers in
17 > order to feed the content to the Debian box over IPP. (And the Debian
18 > box isn't doing any PCL->Brother or PostScript->Brother translation.)
19
20 Wow, when I go into CUPS, I do not even see brother
21 listed. (localhost:631) on a gentoo system.
22
23 this link:
24
25 http://www.openprinting.org/printers
26
27 did list many brother printers,but not the
28 one I'm interested in :
29
30 Brother MFC-J6710DW Inkjet
33 What did you do to your cups to get it to show (flags?)
34 brother printers as an option to install a brother printer?
35
36 Here are my flags:
37
38 Installed versions: 1.5.2-r4^t(00:11:27 09/13/12)(X acl dbus filters gnutls
39 java jpeg ldap pam perl png python slp ssl threads tiff usb -avahi <snip>
40
41 Maybe the debian system has other additional software installed
42 besides cups?
43 James