From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] basic grub question
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 13:51:57
1 On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:41:07 -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > > Why are you looking to switch from Lilo to GRUB now? If Lilo works,
4 > > stick with it. If it is because you have EFI hardware, I'd skip GRUB
5 > > and go straight to Gummiboot or systemd-boot.
6 >
7 > Well, I am trying to use the nvidia driver which conflicts with uvesafb
8 > frame buffer, so it seems. It used to work fine, but not it does not
9 > work anymore and the only solutions I have found was a couple of grub
10 > parameters which gives you a higher resolution and passes it on to
11 > linux. It would not be as good as the uvesafb, but at least it would be
12 > better than 80x25. I use the console a lot and only use gnome
13 > sometimes, but I don't want to have to reboot into a different kernel
14 > just to use gnome.
15
16 Might it not be simpler to avoid the conflict by switching to the nouveau
17 drivers rather than trying to learn a new bootloader just to pass a
18 workround?
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.