From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} method for graphing server stuff?
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:28:14
1 > > > > > I was thinking it would be pretty handy to generate a series of
2 > > > > > transposed (or not) graphs for data like cpu usage, mysql usage,
3 > > > > > memory usage, external monitoring response times, http traffic,
4 > > > > > etc. My external monitoring service has an API I can hook into
5 > > > > > and http traffic is logged to mysql so I'm thinking I have good
6 > > > > > access to the data, but I need a way to tie it all together
7 > > > > > into a useful presentation. Is there a good package for this?
8 > > > >
9 > > > > I think net-analyzer/rrdtool will probably come close to this.
10 > > > > It's used by many other solutions, so you'll find a lot of
11 > > > > examples on the Web.
12 > > >
13 > > > +1 to rrdtool. At my company, we set up rrdtool to graph 100's of
14 > > > graphs per day on all sorts of data from different sources. It's
15 > > > very customisable, if you want to spend the time on it. I also
16 > > > found the creator and forum very supportive.
17 > >
18 > > Is it difficult to plug in data from sources different sources?
19 >
20 > That depends on the difficulty to aquire this data. rrdtool is
21 > basically a database which allows round-robin storage (old data times
22 > out) combined with some statistical abilities -- and also has a
23 > graphing component. It's your job to e.g. set up cron jobs or daemons
24 > which feed the data into it. You would create databases for each
25 > monitored entity (or group of entities for the same concept) and then
26 > write data into it. Then, on the other side, you could e.g. call it to
27 > create graphs that are being served via CGI, written to the desktop,
28 > whatever.
29
30 That sounds perfect. What sources of data are people here using with
31 rrdtool and how are you getting that data in a form rrdtool can use?
32
33 - Grant
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list