From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @ world -> @preserved-rebuild -> @preserved-rebuild -> what next?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 02:09:52
1 On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:00:33 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> >
5 >> > Was it an endless loop? AIUI you emerged twice and the
6 >> > @preserved-rebuild count decreased. In my experience, it can
7 >> > occasionally take a few runs to clear the list, sometimes subsequent
8 >> > runs add packages that were not there previously, but it all clears
9 >> > in the end, I have NEVER had to resort to deleting the registry file
10 >> > manually.
11 >
12 >> If I don't run it forever then I don't think I can say it would never
13 >> clear up. Can't prove a negative, etc.
14 >
15 > When you get identical package lists on subsequent runs, I think it's
16 > fair to say it won't fix itself. This has never happened to me.
17 >
18 >> However, it did get to the point where it was complaining about two
19 >> packages and the number of files to be rebuilt went (IIRC) 52, 50, 50,
20 >> so I decide since it was rebuilding 50 packages the 2nd & 3rd times it
21 >> wasn't going to improve. Might not be true though.
22 >
23 > I think it is being over-cautious, which results in packages being
24 > rebuilt multiple time unnecessarily, but I's rather give it the chance to
25 > fix itself. That said, I've never had a list anything like 50 packages
26 > long, but I do update frequently.
27 >
28 It wasn't that I had 50 packages in the emerge -DuN @world. That was
29 something like 10. It was after that finished and I ran
30 @preserved-rebuild that it said 50 packages were effected by something
31 it found, but those 50 were all dependent on just one or two packages
32 that Alan was suggesting to me are held in the preserved database
33 file, or so I think.
34
35 Again, you know me...basically a flunky just trying to use my tool box
36 to play music even if I don't know how the tool box works...
37
38 - Mark