From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: Detecting frames at aspect-ratio-changes in a video file?
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 09:48:22
1 On 2 July 2011, at 10:49, David Haller wrote:
2 > ...
3 >> "its name escapes me" = I can't remember its name
4 >
5 > Almost: "I know I knew its name[, but at the moment,] the memory of
6 > that name has escaped (or fled) my mind" ;) Or: "I can't _quite_
7 > remember it (now), but I should, I know it's there, but it has escaped
8 > into some corner of my mind and is making faces at me" (or something
9 > similar). A slight distinction [cf. non-random sig] ;)
10
11 OT, but I'm not sure that I see the difference. I was merely trying to give a simple explanation for the benefit of a non-native English speaker.
12
13 My "compact" edition of the 24 volume Oxford English dictionary gives no more than:
14
15 5) To elude (observation, search, etc.); to elude the notice of a person,
16
17 b) to elude (a person's recollection).
18
19 The earliest recorded usage (of b) was by Sir William Hope in 1696, translating J de Solleysel's "La Connoissance parfaite des chevaux" ("The Compleat Horseman") when he wrote "Lest it might have escaped my memory, I here set it down". In 1865, Dickens used it with the use of "memory" or "recollection" only implied, writing "The name of which escapes me".
20
21 But, y'know, I didn't think that was relevant or assisted Meino's understanding.
22
23 Stroller.