From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB power management
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:28:23
1 On Thursday 02 Jan 2014 17:16:32 Andrew Tselischev wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > Recently I came into possession of an external USB hard drive. The
5 > user's manual (obviously) stated that I should always use "safe removal
6 > function" prior to disconnecting the hard drive. I suspect the purpose
7 > of this is to tell the device to properly park the heads and power down,
8 > but I don't have any idea how to do that on linux.
9
10 Are you sure of this, or is it just an assumption?
11
12 I would think that the "safe removal" refers to unmounting the fs so that
13 nothing is writing to it at the moment you are unplugging it. If not it will
14 likely corrupt the filesystem. So use whichever method you used to mount it
15 to safely unmount it before you physically disconnect it from your PC.
18 > I tried writing '3' to /sys/bus/usb/device/.../power/autosuspend and
19 > 'auto' to /sys/.../power/control but this doesn't power down the drive.
20 > I do hear the indicative "click" after 3 seconds (at least I think I do),
21 > but the "PWR" led still stays on, /sys/.../power/runtime_status still
22 > says "active" (instead of "suspended") and I can access the data on the
23 > block device /dev/sdb, all of which suggests that the drive is still
24 > powered on.
25 >
26 > So, perhaps you could give me a tip on how to properly detach USB
27 > drives or link me to an up-to-date information about the kernel's USB
28 > subsystem.
31 > I should mention that I'm not using any of the over-complicated DEs,
32 > just the bare bones X server with awesomewm and a terminal emulator.
33 >
34 > I'm currently running kernel version 3.12.6-gentoo with udev-208 and
35 > udisks-2.1.1
36
37 So, you should be able to do something like:
38
39 udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdd1 (or whatever is your device recognised as)
40
41 to be able to safely unmount it. When power is removed by physically unplugin
42 it the disk will stop spinning and the head will be parked. Also have a look
43 at 'man eject'.
46 Regards,
47 Mick