From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to keep my system from (nearly) freezing?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 13:31:38
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:53:49 +0100 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > sometime I have some memory hungry ebuilds in the background, when I
7 > start (e.g.) Chromium which needs very much memory if you have a lot of
8 > open tabs.
9 >
10 > In that case my system nearly freezes. I cannot even kill chrome.
11 > What can I do in that case. (Remote login doesn't work either)
12 >
13 > Can I have any additional program (like Chromium) die if there is not
14 > enough memory.
15
16 1. Use reasonable -j and -l options in MAKEOPTS. A good start will
17 be -j N and -l 2*N, where N is a number of your logical cores.
18
19 2. Set the lowest CPU and I/O priorities for emerge:
20 PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 and run emerge as `ionice -c3 emerge ...`,
21 you have to use CFQ scheduler to be able to use ionice.
22
23 3. Use zswap with z3fold allocator. It helps me well on my laptop
24 with 2GB RAM.
25
26 4. If everything above doesn't help:
27 a) reduce -j to a value where memory usage is suitable for you;
28 b) consider using -Os in your {C,CXX,F,FC}FLAGS, since such system
29 is certainly short of memory.
30
31 5. If even 4. doesn't help, consider using more powerful host to
32 build binary packages for this one.
33
34 Best regards,
35 Andrew Savchenko