From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I turn my audio up?
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 18:18:38
1 On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi, Gentoo!
3 >
4 > On my PC's audio, whilst playing CDs, with all volume settings maxed out,
5 > the volume can't be said to be louder than "comfortable and sensible".
6 > In quiet passages, the music gets drowned out by the noise of the power
7 > supply.  I know from plugging in my iPod that the loudspeakers are
8 > capable of much more.
9 >
10 > The three volume controls up at full are (i) the one in aqualung; (ii)
11 > the one in alsamixer; (iii) the physical control on the right speaker.
12 >
13 > Surely I can get more volume, somehow.  Could somebody please suggest
14 > how.  TIA
15 >
16 > --
17 > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
21 Are you using powered or passive speakers? On my dad's machine he had
22 passive speakers and the Intel on-board audio just wouldn't get very
23 loud so we bought some powered speakers and things were fine. In my
24 office I've got some nice NHT Pro Powered Studio Monitors so I don't
25 have that problem.
26
27 If you're using headphones then check their impedance spec vs what the
28 MB says it's designed to drive, as well as the efficiency of the
29 headphones. I own some AKG & Sony headphones. The Sony pair is _way_
30 louder than the AKG pair.
31
32 HTH,
33 Mark