From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg-server 1.7.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 04:14:45
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-04-10 05:48]:
3 >
4 >> meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Hi Dale,
8 >>>
9 >>> Somne shots into the dark:
10 >>> I am running a non-kde and non-gnome Gentoo here (Openbox is my
11 >>> friend) and after upgrading X nothing works.
12 >>>
13 >>> I rtecompiled openbox, lxpanel and the X11-drivers like
14 >>> xf86-input-keyboard, xf86-input-mouse. nvidia-drivers and
15 >>> everything was ok.
16 >>>
17 >>> Try to recompile the x11-drivers and the kde equivalent of the
18 >>> window manager (I dont know much about kde/gnome...sorry ;) )
19 >>> and may be X11 will be you friend again...
20 >>>
21 >>> HTH!
22 >>>
23 >>> Keep hacking! and have a nice weekend!
24 >>> mcc
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >>>
28 >> That makes sense now that you mention it. I'll give that a try. Heck,
29 >> nothing to lose. I know how to use the sysreq keys pretty good now.
30 >> lol
31 >>
32 >> Thanks.
33 >>
34 >> Dale
35 >>
36 >> :-) :-)
39 > Hi Dale,
40 >
41 > to get out of X (or not-so-X in your case :O) ) you dont need the
42 > sysreqs every time. since they are somehow a 'very hard hrmmm
43 > "feature"' ;).
44 >
45 > Look into your Xorg.conf file under /etc/X11 and look for "dont zap"
46 > or something like that (I removed this from my xorg.conf ;) ) and
47 > remove that (or better comment it out).
48 >
49 > After that you kann kill X without disturbing the kernel (and risk
50 > your data) with ALT-Backspace. You will get back a console. Log in
51 > as root and do a "telinit 2" since the setuo still think of running
52 > runlevel 5 "without X" and this is not a sane setup: Runlevel 5 is
53 > "with X" and runlevel 2 is "without X".
54 > To restart X the clean way do "teleinit 5" as root.
55 >
56 > HTH
57 >
58 > Keep hacking!
59 > mcc
63 Well when it locks up hard, nothing works not even sysreq. That was the
64 first time it failed me. I'm not sure what made it lock up tho.
65
66 Oh, ctrl alt backspace doesn't do anything either.
67
68 Dale
69