From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Movie editing softeware
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 19:16:49
1 Spackman, Chris wrote:
2 > On 2021/12/21 at 05:13pm, Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> On 21/12/2021 16:07, Spackman, Chris wrote:
4 >>> On 2021/12/20 at 11:17am, William Kenworthy wrote:
5 >>>> Hi, what is a usable piece of software in portage to do a quick edit of
6 >>>> a movie? (cut start/end and maybe splice a bit in/out of the middle?)
7 >>> I've not seen anyone mention OpenShot. It is in portage, but masked for
8 >>> some reason.
9 >>> As someone else mentioned, you do have to create a project and then
10 >>> export. Really, though, the "create project, make export choices" is
11 >>> only like an extra minute or two of your time. I usually don't even save
12 >>> the project for just some simple trimming.
13 >
14 >> It may be a minute or two of YOUR time.
15 >>
16 >> For someone who doesn't "DO" video editing, it can easily turn into
17 >> hours of debugging trying to work out what does (or doesn't) work.
18 >>
19 >> Sorry, but you can't assume we're all video whizzes like you ... :-)
20 >> That's why we want something dummy-proof!
21 > Wow, sorry, didn't realize this was such a sore issue. Especially
22 > considering we've already discussed several command line programs in
23 > this thread.
24 >
25 > To export:
26 >
27 > 1. press the red circular "export video" button (or go to File =>
28 > Export Project => Export Video);
29 >
30 > 2a. [optional] change the name of the video in the export window that
31 > pops up;
32 >
33 > 2b. press the "export video" button at the bottom of the window. Here,
34 > for me, the defaults work fine.
35 >
36 > I did it three times in less than a minute, double checking the accuracy
37 > for this post. So, not a huge inconvenience.
38 >
39 > Of course, if the defaults do NOT work for you, then you do not want
40 > something "dead easy", you want something that will read your mind and
41 > do what you want, somehow, automagically.
45 As someone who has experimented with video editing software, I can
46 understand Wols on this.  What some of us needs is something similar to
47 'video editing for dummys' except we need the software not the book.  At
48 one time, I wanted to remove like 20 or 30 seconds on the beginning and
49 about the same on the end of a few videos.  Hours later, still couldn't
50 figure it out.  Heaven forbid I wanted to remove something in the middle
51 as well or add a second or so of black screen.  O_O
52
53 This coming from someone who was able to figure out Kicad and get
54 circuit boards made.  Just saying.  LOL
55
56 Dale
57