From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serial modem and permissions problem.
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 05:57:40
1 Dale wrote:
2 > OK. Here's my update. I changed the config file, the 50-udev.rules
3 > file, back to the way it was when it was updated. I then added myself
4 > to the uucp group and rebooted. Well, my UPS didn't like that one
5 > bit. So I added nut to the uucp group too. Then I rebooted again.
6 > Everything *appears* to be working fine. Sorry for all the rebooting
7 > but they are serial ports.
8 >
9 > Why did I decide to go and do all this right now. Here is the funny
10 > part. Kppp could access the modem, it could tell it to dial out, it
11 > could connect, even get the DNS servers, but it was NOT going to send
12 > data or accept data like it should. It was like spitting on a four
13 > alarm fire. It would send some but it was just a little bit at a
14 > time. Kopete worked fine though. Go figure. All that was run as a
15 > normal user. To test that this was permission related, I opened a
16 > root Konsole and used wvdial to connect with. The pages loaded like
17 > they should when connected that way. I knew then it was either Kppp
18 > or I still had some lingering permission issues. I suspected the later.
19 >
20 > Lesson of all this, watch those udev updates. They may work 99% of
21 > the time but that 1% can drive you nuts.
22 >
23 > All this because my power went out for about 2 hours. Maybe I need a
24 > bigger UPS. ;-)
25 >
26 > Thanks for all the help.
27 >
28 > Dale
29 >
30 > :D :D :D :D :D
34 > --
35 > www.myspace.com/dalek1967
38 One more little update. After a while I starting seeing the same thing
39 again. I then remerged Kppp and it has been working for a while now.
40 I'm not sure what change that would have made though. Just thought I
41 would mention it in case someone else has the same issue.
42
43 Dale
44
48 www.myspace.com/dalek1967