From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : CPU : AMD FX-4100 ?
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:02:29
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > When you have full load, the CPU won't clock down. So nothing saved there.
5 >
6 >> When you're considering full load, the TDP becomes a useful estimation
7 >> of relative power consumption between different processors.
8 >
9 >> > If you don't have full load, the clock-down doesn't save much compared to
10 >> > max clocks while idle.
11 >
12 >> This is where you're wrong.
13 >
14 > OK. both sides are well stated.
15 >
16 > Amp meters are less than $50 USD. They clamp around the
17 > power cord, or any wires inside the computer you can fit
18 > the "clamp" around.
19 >
20 > So make your choice, based on actual measurements?
21 > That's how an EE would make a decision on how
22 > a given processor or software setup actually effects
23 > the power consumption. REAL DATA.
24 >
25 > Note, some of the fancier meter's have an integrator function
26 > where measurements are taken frequently over a time period
27 > to get an even more realistic picture of power consumption...
28 >
29 > http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_2/4.html
30
31 I've got a Kill-o-Watt which I use for these kinds of purposes.
32
33 The problem with obtaining first-hand data for a purchasing decision
34 is getting the parts to perform the tests on.
37 :wq