From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-user] fstab mount /home by default
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 08:22:40
1 On one of my system I have in fstab:
2 /dev/sda4 /home ext4 noatime 0 1
3 and /home is mounted by default
4
5 On my new installation, I have in my fstab:
6 /dev/sda5 /home ext4 noatime 0 1
7
8 but on new installation /home doesn't mount by default, why?
9
10 On new installation, I created a user without "-m"
11 useradd -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash thelma
12
13 added to fstab:
14 /dev/sda5 /home ext4 noatime 0 1
15
16 but it doesn't mount by default.
17 xfce4 created new entry in /home /thelma
18 so I deleted the entry /thelma but manual mounting: mount /dev/sda5 /home
19 does not create directory /thelma manually under /home
20
21 When I mount manually /dev/sda5 /home all data is there but but trying login as user "X" gets a black screen now.
22 How to get back "X"
23
24 When I ssh and try to start it manually I get:
25 Fatal server error:
26 (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 8 (Permission denied)