From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [A bit off-topic] Bash alias and &
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 14:43:39
1 On 12/06/2016 16:33, Nico Verrijdt wrote:
2 > Hi Andrew,
3 >
4 > 2016-06-12 16:26 GMT+02:00 Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au
5 > <mailto:agl@×××××××.au>>:
6 >
7 > Hi all,
8 > A bit off topic here, but there are plenty of people who
9 > seem to know their shells back to front so here goes.
10 >
11 > I have set up a Win32 based development environment,
12 > bash/cc/ls/etc/etc, for 1st year Engineering students who have to
13 > learn C on a command line. It's fine for me to remember to put the &
14 > at the end of the command when I fire up the editor but for them,
15 > it's major angst.
16 >
17 > The first thing that comes to mind is an alias. Just off
18 > the top of my head I tried:
19 >
20 > alias "npp=npp %1 &"
21 >
22 > Shouldn't this be: alias npp="npp %1 &" ?
25 > npp being the editor, but that didn't work. Is an alias the
26 > best/easiest way to do this and if so, what would the syntax be, or
27 > is there a better way?
28 >
29 > Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
30 >
31 > Andrew
34 > Hope this helps,
35 > Nico
38 Or just tell them to remember to add the & at the end.
39 With an alias what will they do when they don't want it?
40
41 Or look at it this way:
42
43 It's syntax, it's important. C is probably more syntax-critical than any
44 other language around (binds to the right, anyone?) so what's the
45 problem with requiring correct syntax on the command line as well?
46
47 Obligatory disclaimer: I've recently had a bellyache full of dumb people
48 who insist I put code when a human (themselves) belongs...