From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:06:35
1 On 27/03/2022 21:36, Wol wrote:
2 > I don't know either. I'm just far more familiar with the dm/md layer
3 > because I run md-raid over dm-integrity. Hence dm-crypt.
4 >
5 > Is cryptsetup a layer in its own right, or part of lvm? I prefer the
6 > Unix "use several tools each of which does one thing well", other people
7 > prefer a swiss army knife like ZFS or btrfs. I don't know where
8 > cryptsetup lies on that spectrum, and I don't know your preferences on
9 > that spectrum.
10
11 Just seen Rich's message, so now I know :-)
12
13 But it's just hit me - you have three PV's joined into one LV? Is that
14 effectively raid-0? If so, you know you have just TREBLED your risk of
15 losing your home drive? (Although I do know the risk is low to start with.)
16
17 Don't know what really to suggest though, other than getting a new 8TB
18 drive and converting it to a 3x8TB 16TB raid-5 ... and you said you
19 didn't want to splash out on a new drive ...
20
21 Cheers,
22 Wol