From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox: no x-server after kernel upgrade to 4.12.12-gentoo
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 05:02:15
1 On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 15. September 2017, 17:43:52 CEST schrieb R0b0t1:
3 >> Details on this are sparse but you need to run @x11-modules-rebuild
4 >> after a kernel upgrade.
5 >
6 > Since when has that been the case? AIUI X11 modules live 100% in userspace,
7 > the kernel component is its own thing (unless you use nvidia, I suppose).
8 > @x11-modules-rebuild is for xorg-server upgrades, and even then, strictly
9 > speaking only when there is an ABI change (see the first of your links).
10 >
11 > But even so, the way Xorg stabilisations are handled in Gentoo (i.e.,
12 > everything is stabilised simultaneously) you shouldn't really need it in the
13 > first place; at least, I can't remember the last time I needed to use it.
17 Starting around a decade ago, I think. When I was originally given
18 this advice there was no detailed explanation available as to why it
19 was needed. However, I rebuilt my kernel a few times and was forced to
20 merge that package to get X11 working again, so causation was
21 established.
22
23 Recently I can verify that I haven't been doing it manually between
24 kernel upgrades.
25
26 R0b0t1