From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 15:04:08
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > I noticed something on mine when I did that. I was actually doing the
4 > command in a Konsole. It seemed to mess up again later on. It got
5 > REALLY slow. I decided to do things differently. I logged out of
6 > KDE, went to single user mode, typed in the command to set opengl to
7 > nvidia, then went back to default runlevel and logged in. It worked
8 > fine and has ever since. I have logged out several times, been
9 > experimenting with fluxbox, and it is still fast as it was. So, it
10 > may be best to run that when logged out of a GUI at least but I went
11 > to single user just to be certain. I would think that stopping xdm
12 > would work just as well but one never knows about these things.
13 >
14 > Maybe that will help. Never hurts to hope.
15 >
16 > Dale
17 >
18 > :-) :-)
21 This is getting weird. I haven't rebooted in a few weeks now. I tried
22 to watch a video a bit ago and it was slow again. It was down to about
23 2 or 3 frames per second. It is awful. If I go tell it to switch to
24 opengl, it gets fast again but after a while it will go back to being
25 really slow. Why do I have to keep telling it to use nvidia's opengl
26 when it says it is using it and I have switched to a few times? If it
27 is using it, why does it slow down until I tell it to switch?
28
29 I did do a huge KDE upgrade the other day. I don't recall seeing
30 anything else X related being updated but I could have missed something
31 in that LONG list. I did do a baselayout upgrade and portage itself has
32 been upgraded a few times.
33
34 Any ideas on why this thing keeps doing this? Would a reboot even help
35 in this situation?
36
37 Dale
38