From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop Overheat
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:43:20
1 Thanasis wrote:
2 > On 12/17/2014 02:46 PM, Matti Nykyri wrote:
3 >> Because the temperature of the laptop in the freezer
4 >> will always be above dew point it will never get wet.
5 >> When you take it out though it's temperature will most likely be
6 >> below dew point of the ambient air so water will condensate
7 >
8 > Right. Which is why he should turn it off as soon as he takes it out,
9 > and let it warm up to room temperature, before he turns it back on.
14 And I'd let it sit for a while just to be safe. Turning something on
15 that still has condensation on/in it is a bad thing all the way around.
16 I still remember one time MANY years ago when we got our first color
17 TV. It was cold as heck too. Well, we left it in the back seat of the
18 car while we was running around doing errands and the car never warmed
19 up between trips. We were just bouncing around town. When we finally
20 got home, my Dad brought the TV in and it took a little bit to unhook
21 and move the old TV out and put the new TV in. By that time, it had
22 built up enough condensation somewhere in there that it sparked and a
23 few seconds later it really sparked. Then the smoke got out. We all
24 know what happens when the smoke got out. Brand new TV was junk.
25
26 If I had put that old thing in the freezer just to play around or
27 something, I'd cut it off before taking it out, take the side off and
28 let it warm up. Once warmed up, put a little fan on it overnight or
29 something to be safe.
30
31 I might add, my deep freezer runs between -10F and about 0F. I doubt
32 any puter would warm up much unless it is using really small heat
33 sinks. It would certainly be under cooled for a room temp environment.
34
35 It was just a thought tho. ;-)
36
37 Dale