From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] managing RAM usage
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 12:24:47
1 On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 01:14:39AM -0700, Grant wrote:
2 > I'm trying to maximize the number of servers I can run on my machine
3 > without running out of physical RAM. I noticed something strange when
4 > comparing top and free statistics:
5 >
6 > top says each PID associated with a particular server has a RES of
7 > about 100M. Does that mean each running instance of that server
8 > reserves 100MB? Since there are 20 of these servers running, this
9 > seems contradictory to the output from free which indicates less than
10 > 1GB used -/+ buffers/cache.
11 >
12 > Is there any way to monitor RAM usage over time to see how close I'm
13 > getting to using all of my physical RAM?
14 >
15 > - Grant
16
17 Check out my friend's information here http://koltsoff.com/pub/ures/ and the
18 accompanying Meminfo script (linked at bottom of ^ web page).
19 --
20 Happy Penguin Computers >')
21 126 Fenco Drive ( \
22 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
24 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
25 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
26
27 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
28 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
29 A: Top-posting.
30 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
31
32 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting