From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc-4.1.1
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 20:11:00
1 On 6/7/06, Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 > > I'm watching this topic with curiosity, I have switched to ~x86
4 > > recently and after it all (and a few debugging) I have all my packages
5 > > testing now, but have not switched to the new GCC for fear of things
6 > > breaking beyound my knowledge on how to fix it. So, if people start
7 > > replying saying things are stable with the new GCC I might switch to
8 > > it completely and wait a few days before the "emerge -e system &&
9 > > emerge -e world" completes.
10 > >
11 > I was running stable with a lot of testing unmasked. Then upgraded
12 > to gcc-4.1.1 with an immediate emerge -s && emerge -e, which went
13 > mostly smooth.
14 >
15 > Then decided to go ~x86 for the system. That is where the pain was,
16 > particularly expat which caused most of kde/gnome to need to be
17 > upgraded. Unfortunately a lot of the tools to do the rebuild also
18 > depended on expat. So it was update a few packages, rebuild a tool,
19 > update a few more packages, ... Lesson learned is when upgrading
20 > to expat-2, immediately take the hours needed to do the
21 > revdep-rebuild (in all honesty, I didn't see the ewarn message
22 > because I was upgrading 448 packages). It really would have been
23 > nice if the expat-2 emerge package died after giving the instructions
24 > to revdep-rebuild...
25 >
26 > So far (5 days) the system has been real nice, no problems. KDE
27 > appears (subjective) faster (with USE=kdehiddenvisibility). So +1 on
28 > upgrading a ~x86 to gcc-4.1.1.
29 >
30 > For those considering stable to testing, the main changes are
31 > pam-logon/shadow (unmerge pam-logon), coldplug/udev (unmerge
32 > coldplug), expat (revdep-rebuild), ocaml (dependent packages must
33 > be manually rebuilt afterwards).
36 That is some precious info. I'll remember that when switching next week, thanks.
37 I will not have much problems with dependencies/blocks and stuff
38 because I already switched the whole tree to ~x86, masking some
39 blocks, so, now it is just a matter of recompiling stuff. Anyway, If I
40 switch, do the emerge -e system and world and eventually stop, nothing
41 will (in theory) be broken as long as I mantain compatibility
42 libraries right? I'll switch from 3.4.5 to 4.1, dunno if there were
43 substancial changes like when switching from 3.3 to 3.4. Anyway, gotta
44 read the gcc upgrade guide again.
47 Daniel da Veiga
48 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
54 --