From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suspend to swap on a diskless host
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 11:46:04
1 Hello
2
3 On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:28:20PM +0200, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
4 > On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:21:03 +0200 "Michal 'vorner' Vaner"
5 > <vorner@×××.cz> wrote:
6 >
7 > > First: You need to load the kernel from the swap, in the time it
8 > > loads, you have no running kernel (well, there is a little part, but
9 > > that one has no clue about network).
10 >
11 > No, that's not entirely true. Userspace suspend and resume is in the
12 > kernel since 2.6.17. See my other post in this thread for a pointer (I
13 > think it was http://suspend.sf.net/). So for this way it really happens
14 > all in userspace, with a fully working kernel available. When the image
15 > is loaded into RAM, the resume utility makes a syscall to have the
16 > kernel automatically copy & switch over.
17 >
18 > See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/power/*suspend* for all the details.
19
20 OK, I use suspend 1, which seems the least buggy to me, I did not know
21 some of the suspends were in userspace. If so, then yes, it can work.
22
23 > > Second: You do not want swap on nfs, since it is terribly slow, buggy,
24 > > nfs can allocate memory to transfer data and you get a circular
25 > > problem
26 > > - to get a memory, you need to get a memory. And, what if your cat
27 > > steps on the ethernet cable?
28 >
29 > Resume aborts, checksum error. But that's it. But true, I wouldn't
30 > trust NFS too much, either. But then, there are nbd's (network block
31 > devices) which would probably work a treat. But userspace resume from a
32 > file on NFS should work reliably, too.
33
34 No, that was not for resume, but for use of swap on NFS. You need fast
35 response from swap and reliability.
36
37 > > You might try suspend to ram, thought. It should work on diskless
38 > > machine as well as on any other.
39 >
40 > ...cough, cough... yeah, /as/ well as on any other. So this probably
41 > means: It won't work until you switch off ACPI and resort to APM... But
42 > of course, that will depend.
43
44 Why? It works fine for me. It just suspends and goes on the other day on
45 my laptop, all working by ACPI - with kernel suspend 1.
48 This message has optimized support for formating.
49 Please choose green font and black background so it looks like it should.
50
51 Michal 'vorner' Vaner