From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] ASUS EeePC 1000HA : boot query
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:30:52
1 I've got my new toy to boot from USB with SystemRescue 1.3.1 ,
2 which comes up beautifully with Gentoo using 'Altker32'
3 (the 'default' kernel boots into some kind of emergency mode);
4 despite what the intro help says, the desktop manager is Xfce,
5 which is started via 'wizard' & offers basic useful apps,
6 eg Terminal Emelfm Firefox Geany Gparted .
7
8 There's 1 problem : you hold F2 down to get BIOS,
9 then use Esc for a boot menu (you have to go in/out of BIOS first).
10 However, this doesn't work when I first switch the machine on :
11 M$ XP starts regardless & I have to reboot from there to get BIOS,
12 the boot menu & the USB (I've disabled 'quiet boot' in BIOS,
13 but POST msgs still don't appear). Is this because it takes a few seconds
14 before the USB stick warms up & gets recognised (its light blinks) ?
15
16 This is important: if that's correct, I can wipe out XP
17 & the machine will still recognise the USB stick & boot,
18 but if the problem is something else (I don't know what it might be),
19 I fear risking an unbootable box without even the M$ option remaining.
20
21 Can anyone reassure me ?
25 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
26 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
27 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca