From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Opinions on DVR/PVR backend?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 17:53:08
1 On 2018-01-26, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> The main backend options seem to be MythTV, Plex, and TVHeadend.
5 >
6 > You seem to understand the pros/cons fairly well.
7 >
8 > I moved from MythTV to Plex about two years ago, but as a result of
9 > moving from DVR to discrete media files, which MythTV was a poor fit
10 > for. The DVR service is new for Plex and I've never tried it, though
11 > it would be free for me to use (I have a lifetime Plex pass). I don't
12 > have any tuners set up at all right now and no easy ability to watch
13 > LiveTV of any kind.
14
15 Live TV is not a priority at all and would be the first thing I would
16 give up in order to gain in other areas.
17
18 > One pain I always had with MythTV was any time where I wanted to run
19 > different distros on front-ends vs servers, because the protocol
20 > changes from time to time and upstream does not support anything
21 > other than all clients and servers running on the exact same build.
22
23 Yep. You can make it work, but it takes effort.
24
25 I was never able to find an option for an acceptably small and silent
26 Myth fontend. The last time I was looking into that, the Raspberry Pi
27 3B seemed like a decent option, but reports indicated it still took a
28 lot of futzing to get it work.
29
30 > The thing I like about Plex is that upstream basically tries to keep
31 > everything painless and "just working."
32
33 That's always good, and I'm more than happy to pay cash money for
34 that.
35
36 I'm guessing that Android client support is going to be better with
37 Plex than with the others.
38
39 > [...]
40 >
41 > Now, MythTV in general is going to be more flexible with DVR
42 > capabilities, since it does have a database you can poke around in,
43 > and more of an API/etc. And of course it is open source so you really
44 > can patch whatever you want into it.
45
46 After reading through the Plex DVR wiki pages, I was pleasantly
47 surprised. It had some features that MythTV has but TvHeadend and/or
48 SageTv lacks:
49
50 * Minutes-before and minutes-after settings for a recording to
51 adjust for local TV station management decisions to skew
52 start-stop times. SaveTV lacked this, and it was annoying. [The
53 optimal solution is repeated beatings for the people who decide to
54 do that.]
55
56 * How many and which recordings to keep for each series. [SageTv
57 does have this.]
58
59 > In a pure DVR world I might still be running MythTV. I'd certainly
60 > evaluate Plex though. I'm not sure how easy it is to evaluate Plex
61 > DVR without paying something though.
62
63 One notable feature that (I think) TvHeadend lacks is the ability to
64 only record series episodes that haven't been previously recorded and
65 watched. Both MythTv and SageTv can do that, but I'm not sure about
66 Plex.
67
68 I'm still not sure how storage space management works with Plex's DVR.
69 AFAICT, TvHeadend doesn't provide any space management at all.
72 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Where's th' DAFFY
73 at DUCK EXHIBIT??
74 gmail.com