From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] scary (?) situation with binutils
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 17:58:38
1 On Mon, Sep 18 2017, allan gottlieb wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Sep 18 2017, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >
5 >> No need to do anything complicated. Just run
6 >>
7 >> emerge --depclean --ask
8 >>
9 >> and have it remove outdated binutils versions (it will keep the current one,
10 >> and also then select it for usage automatically).
11 >>
12 >> Then all these problems are gone...
13 >
14 > Thank you!
15 > allan
16
17 For others who may have encountered the infinite-emerge-binutils
18 problem, let me report that (as I am sure andreas knows) the depclean
19 fixes that problem while purging the masked versions of binutils.
20
21 Would that the depclean likely have fixed the infinite-emerge-binutils
22 problem several months ago when it first appeared. I don't remember
23 seeing it proposed.
24
25 Once again, thank you!
26 allan