From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] post build files
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 16:23:28
1 On 09/09/2014 11:20 AM, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I'm rather new to hacking ebuilds. I have read most every doc
5 > I can find on the subject. One thing I'm looking for is a post-build
6 > document that shows me the path/name of everything built.
7 >
8 > So for mesos-0.20.0 it seems to be:
9 >
10 > /var/db/pkg/sys-cluster/mesos-0.20.0/CONTENTS
11 >
12 > For some other packages, they seems to be quit a lot under
13 > /var/tmp/portage/
14 >
15 > Some of the information I'm looking for is in
16 > /var/log/elog/
17 >
18 > Other places to look? Mesos generates a lot of *.html file that
19 > I'm speculating are general purpose setup interfaces for configuring
20 > and controlling the various code components. It this typical of
21 > Apache codes?
22 >
23 > I feel like I'm missing the 'big picture' on where one
24 > looks to find all these files that some packages generate.
25 > On new software, I guess I have to look at them all to
26 > figure out a runtime environment setup? I feel linke I'm on
27 > Safari (an actual dangerous animal hunting trip) but there
28 > has been no briefing. I feel hung_over, naked and without
29 > compass. I feel like I need a bottle of whisky to just
30 > start "winging it"......
31 >
32 > Understand what I'm doing: I have stable tree ebuilds,
33 > Overlays of various quality and then there are my
34 > ebuilds (ugly hacks) in /usr/local/portage that I'm trying
35 > to get my arms around with a weak comprehension of what to
36 > expect.
37 >
38 > I also have read about Blueness efforts:
39 > "RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB" on the dev list
40 > and that just leaves me scratching (more than my head).
41 >
42 > Some discussion, suggested reading, and guidance would be welcome
43 > as the structure(s) seem a wee bit "loose" if not inconsistent, to me......
44 >
45 > How much does EAPI-<number> affect what a package build does? Where do I
46 > have I go before compiling code (typically) in the unpacked sourcecode
47 > to see/determine what is going to get build and where it will install,
48 > as this is not strictly controlled by the ebuilds...... How much is
49 > controlled by the package codes and how much by setting in the Gentoo
50 > build settings?
53 > Most of the docs I've read, would make sense, if I knew what I was
54 > specifically suppose to do. Learning the semantics of all of this
55 > "echo_system" does not seem straightforward. The individual codes
56 > are not the problem, as I can read and discern most codes. It's the
57 > WISDOM of what goes WHERE and WHY that seems; fleeting to me.
60 > lost & curious,
61 > James
67 To see what all is getting installed, I'd download a separate mesos
68 tarball and run:
69
70 ./configure --prefix=/home/alec/mesos-root && make && make install
71
72 As for the EAPI, I'm also new to ebuilds but from my understanding you
73 should just use the current level, which is 5.
74
75 As for the structure of the ebuilds, I found it to be reasonable. For
76 recommended reading, I read other ebuilds; reasonably complex ones like
77 dev-lang/R or sci-mathematics/octave showcase plenty of the features of
78 ebuilds.
79
80 Lastly, if you throw this in a publicly-accessible git repo I'll try and
81 help, even though I took a look at mesos and it seems like it'll be hard
82 because they bundle libraries with it and have made a couple other
83 (imnho) bad decisions.
84
85 Alec
86
87 P.S. I'd recommend doing ebuild testing in a chroot (if you're not
88 already) as well to avoid destroying your system, but that's just me