From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge output
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:59:24
1 John Dangler schreef:
2 > I just did an emerge –uDv world…
6 > during the course of the 22 packages (a lot considering I just loaded
7 > this last night), I got some messages saying “please make sure you run …
8 > (I couldn’t read it all since it went by so fast)… I got a couple of
9 > these before it was over. Is there a way to view that output after the
10 > fact? I didn’t see it in either dmesg or any of the /var/log files…
14 > Thanks for the input.
17 Idea #1: if you know the name of the file or files that had an einfo
18 message (if you don't know the names, try looking at the end
19 /var/log/emerge.log to see the packages most recently emerged), just
20 open the ebuild in a text editor and read it at your leisure.
21
22 Idea #2: In whatever console you use, change the size of the scrollback
23 buffer to something that seems ridiculously high (my buffer is 30000
24 lines). For most emerges -- even in groups of 20 or more-- this should
25 be enough to allow you to scroll back and read any einfo messages that
26 you may have noticed. This won't so much work for emerges that are
27 themselves more than 30000 lines (for instance, if I emerge gcc and then
28 glibc, I won't be able to scroll back and see any messages I missed in
29 the gcc emerge once the glibc emerge is an hour or so in, but usually
30 it's good enough).
31
32 Idea #3: there is a way (and possibly more than one) to tail out the
33 einfo messages, either to a file, or to the console, but unfortunately I
34 don't remember what they are atm.... Oh, wait, they're listed on the Wiki:
35
36 http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Portage_utilities_not_in_portage
37
38 I think what you might want is portlog-info, which is in the
39 Informational Utilities section.
40
41 HTH,
42 Holly