From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Browsers not seeing symbol font
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:38:34
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I have discovered that the symbol font does not render reliably in
5 >> browsers.  Only one of my audience (of about a dozen people) could see
6 >> the font properly, in a variety of browsers.  The one who could is
7 >> using Firefox, and I have not been able to determine what makes this
8 >> one special -- I do not have access to that machine to check out
9 >> configurations.
10 >>
11 >> I have a very simple HTML example at
12 >> http://www.kosmanor.com/~kevin/symbol.html.  By rights it should show
13 >> "The quick brown fox" transliterated into greek letters.  On most
14 >> browsers set up for English, it seems to come out in latin letters,
15 >> but there are no latin letter in that font, although these same
16 >> browsers honor requests for a variety of other fonts.  This is true
17 >> even on some machines that definitely have the symbol font, and it's
18 >> usable in word processing documents.
19 >>
20 >> Of course, that sample page is ancient HTML, but the problem first
21 >> surfaced in HTML email being received on a much more sophisticated
22 >> page by Yahoo Mail.
23 >>
24 >> There's a lot I don't know about character encodings, i18n and the
25 >> rest, but this still seems discrimination against the symbol font.
26 >> Any clues out there?
27 >
28 > 1. "Symbol" is not a defined CSS font family. Your choices are: serif,
29 > sans-serif, cursive, fantasy, monospace.
30
31 I've changed the CSS to use the font-family property which accepts
32 actual fonts in addition to the generics you mention. No joy.
33
34 > 2. Character encodings are easy: use Unicode. :)
35 > http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html
36
37 Yes they're easy. My question is about whether they have any effect
38 on use of Symbol So far I see no evidence of it.
39
40 > 3. Because neither your HTML nor your HTTP headers declare which
41 > character encoding the page uses, it is left up to the browser to make
42 > that decision (which obviously causes unpredictable results). You
43 > should really define this.
44
45 My browser default is Latin-1. The original YahooMail page specified
46 us-ascii. No difference.
47
48 > 4. Similarly, check the character encoding setting on the browser to
49 > make sure it's not forcing it to be wrong. Firefox also has options to
50 > allow or disallow the page from using its own fonts, etc.
51
52 My browser is set to allow this. No joy.
53
54 > 5. Make sure the requisite fonts exist on the viewer's computer and is
55 > properly installed.
56
57 It works in MS Works, Dreamweaver and on Gentoo, in OpenOffice.
63 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD