From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network manager for laptop
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 14:30:26
1 On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 1:09 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga ha scritto:
3 >
4 > > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 9:49 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > Daniel da Veiga ha scritto:
7 > > >
8 > > >
9 > > > > Nah, I guess its something related to my card (and driver) and
10 > > > >
11 > > > wpa_supplicant.
12 > > > You told that wicd somehow works better. Seems more related to
13 > > > NetworkManager, then...
14 > > >
15 > > >
16 > >
17 > > You can say so, but WICD and NetworkManager are completely different
18 > > programs, they both call wpa_supplicant, but in completely different
19 > > ways, as far as I can see. NM tries to use DBUS to talk to supplicant,
20 > > while WICD launches supplicant directly, by pointing it to a generated
21 > > config file.
22 > >
23 > > But yes, I suppose NM is broken in the sense it can't talk to
24 > > wpa_supplicant on my laptop.
27 > I know almost nothing about dbus, but have you checked that dbus works for
28 > other programs?
31 I tested it with other apps, logging stuff and all. All parts working,
32 including wpa_supplicant, iwconfig and dhclient. All stuff that should
33 make NM magic happes, but still nothing. They all work OK, as manually
34 I can connect to each and every wireless I tried (WPA, WEP, open).
37 Daniel da Veiga
38 --
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list