From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Madly flickering display
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 08:36:33
1 On Friday, September 23, 2016 09:13:00 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > I've broken this out from the thread it appeared in, Problems with Xinerama
3 > after upgrade to Plasma (KDE5):
4 >
5 > On Friday 16 Sep 2016 11:18:18 I wrote:
6 >
7 > --->8
8 >
9 > > I upgraded yesterday from 5.7.4 to 5.7.5. I hoped the problem I have had
10 > > been fixed, but no. If I switch desktops too many times, or too often or
11 > > something, the desktop becomes unusable until I reboot (I haven't tried
12 > > just restarting xdm). It flickers rapidly, bits of one desktop are shown
13 > > in the middle of another or on a blank background, and it's hard to see
14 > > just which is the currently active desktop.
15 > >
16 > > This may be a bad interaction with the xorg-driver for my AMD GPU, which
17 > > has only been on the market for about a year. Though
18 > > sys-firmware/amdgpu-ucode hasn't changed since June.
19 >
20 > I found from Xorg.0.log that X11 wasn't finding an evdev module, even though
21 > I had INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" in make.conf. So I added USE=evdev to dev-
22 > qt/qtgui* and that created the module, even though kensington@gentoo said
23 > it had nothing to do with it.
24
25 I have the following:
26 $ grep INPUT /etc/portage/make.conf
27 INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse joystick"
28
29 My qtgui doesn't have this USE-flag set.
30
31 According to my X-logs ( /var/log/Xorg.0.log ) it does find the evdev-module.
32
33 > I still get the rapid flickering and general confusion though, which is
34 > cured by logging out and in again.
35
36 I just tested on my desktop by madly switching desktops for 2 minutes using
37 the keyboard bindings (CTRL + F1..4) and didn't see this happening.
38
39 > * That was the only relevant package to have such a USE flag, according to
40 > "equery h -p evdev".
41
42 Same on my system.
43 (Not counting games-emulation/dolphin :) )
46 Joost