From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem installing GRUB
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:31:33
1 On Monday 26 February 2007, Marco Schuler wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > after using other distributions for years I finally decided to go
5 > with gentto to have to most flexibility. So here I am :-)
6 >
7 > I got trough the gentoo installation up to the point of installing
8 > grub. After the command 'grub-install /dev/hda' my machine hangs
9 > displaying the following meassage:
10 > Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time
13 You are installing grub to an IDE device. Is that how you normally
14 address that device? It might be a SATA drive
15
16 What is the contents of your device.map file? I've seen that cause grub
17 to search endlessly for a device that isn't there
18
19 alan
23 Optimists say the glass is half full,
24 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
25 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
26
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
29 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list