From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: felix@×××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 compatibility with modern cpus
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 17:24:14
1 Am Freitag, 14. Dezember 2012, 11:18:21 schrieb felix@×××××××.com:
2 > Something went haywire with my 8 or 9 year old dual Opteron ~amd64 system
3 > last night. I may have a bricked system. I haven't given up yet, but I
4 > may have to buy a replacement system. I have external USB drive backups,
5 > but the only other computer I have right now is an old Mac laptop which
6 > can't read Linux LVM partitions.
7 >
8 > Questions:
9 >
10 > 1. I don't remember, and can't look up, the make.conf processor flags I
11 > emerge with. But it is dual Opterons, and ~amd64. How compatible could
12 > that be with modern Intel CPUs? I know Intel adopted the extra registers
13 > of the AMD64 instruction set, but are there other differences which would
14 > prevent an Opteron system from running as is under an Intel processor?
15 > Maybe AMD still sells Opterons, and I will be stuck with building a system.
16 >
17 > 2. Is it feasible to buy some commodity box, like from Dell, with an
18 > Intel processor, and plug in my two SATA SSD drives and get a console boot?
19 > I don't give a fig right now about any GUI interface, and even Internet is
20 > not the problem. If it will boot and run emerges, I can import the source
21 > files for X and Ethernet and other peripherals via USB stick. But SATA
22 > drivers ...
23 >
24 > 3. My kernels always have just about every driver compiled in as
25 > modules, an old habit from when I used to swap in PCI cards like crazy. I
26 > don't remember now how many SATA drivers are built in and how many are
27 > modules; if the commodity box needs SATA drivers which aren't built in,
28 > that could get tricky. Are there boot command line options to preload
29 > certain modules? Might not do me any good. I think I could scrape by with
30 > USB modules, but not SATA.
31 >
32 > For the curious, here is wat happened. When I left off last night, the USB
33 > keyboard was only recognized when I unplugged all other USB devices, and
34 > the system hung at the grub point, with a blank screen.
35 >
36 > A reboot failed because it couldn't find the root=/dev/sde drive. But
37 > the USB keyboard was working because I used it in grub to select a new
38 > 3.7.0 kernel (had been running 3.6.8).
39 >
40 > A second reboot ignored the USB keyboard and generated an ATA error I
41 > had never seen before for every ATA drive and some I don't have, all the
42 > way up to ATA13 before I rebooted it again. I haven't got it to boot even
43 > this far since, so I can't regenerate that error. There was a 5 second or
44 > so delay between these errors, making me think the ATAnn designator might
45 > not be different drives, just retries.
46 >
47 > It booted a rescue DVD, but without the keyboard it was kind of
48 > pointless, and it hung after showing two lines which I believe are
49 > unrelated other than a place marker (generating xxx key, generating RSA
50 > key).
51 >
52 > The keyboard wasn't even recognized by the BIOS. I finally disconnected
53 > every USB device, all the ubs, and then the keyboard worked.
54 >
55 > But when I left it last night, it wouldn't even bring up the grub
56 > screen. All the BIOS screens show the usual disk drives.
57 >
58 > The system was working perfectly fine before all hell broke loose. The
59 > keyboard was recognized during grub the first time, but after that only if
60 > all other USB devices were disconnected. The disk drives acted funny
61 > during the boot, first with the unknown root- device error, then with the
62 > funky ATA errors, and finally with not even bringing up grub.
63 >
64 > I will try some more desperate tricks today, like reconnecting the USB pile
65 > to see if it at least boots the disks again - is my choice between disks
66 > and keyboard? I will find out. My best guess right now is that booting
67 > 3.7.0 is what clobbered things; whether I added a option which loaded bad
68 > firmware, or 3.7.0 is broken, I have no idea. It could well be something
69 > unrelated to 3.7.0. My goal for today is to try to get keyboard and disk
70 > working, then boot with 3.6.8.
71
72 how about a more stable kernel - like 3.4.X?
73
74 and yes, a confused bios can do a lot of strange things. One thing you might
75 try: disconnect your box from the main for several minutes, reset bios...
76
77 had to do that dance A LOT with a costly POS asus board...
80 #163933