From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Reaching my network over the internet
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:16:39
1 On Sunday 16 October 2005 13:01, Grant wrote:
2 > > > Hello, I'd like to ssh into my network over the internet. Do I need
3 > > > to set up VPN for that? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
4 > >
5 > > It depends on what you're trying to do.
6 > >
7 > > If you just want to ssh into a machine on your network... then no. From
8 > > a shell session on that machine you can access the other hosts on your
9 > > network.
10 > >
11 > > If you want to "ssh into your network" and have your computer connected
12 > > as if you were actually on the network... then yes you will need VPN for
13 > > that.
14 > >
15 > > What sort of network access are you wanting?
16 > >
17 > > -Gabriel
18 >
19 > Hi Gabriel,
20 >
21 > Basically I have a network back home with a couple Gentoo systems
22 > connected and I'd like to have ssh (and maybe vnc) access to them from
23 > my Gentoo laptop no matter where I am. What do you think?
24 >
25 > - Grant
26 if you just need ssh, you don't need a vpn, just a port forward on your
27 router. for vnc, I'd use openvpn.
28 --
29 John Jolet
30 Your On-Demand IT Department