From: Brandon Vargo <brandon.vargo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVidia setup instructions?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 21:59:01
1 On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 14:25 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Is this the right page to follow for up-to-date installation
4 > instructions for a 6200-based card?
5 >
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml
7 >
8 > If it is then is it at all out of date in terms of xorg.conf setup
9 > for the newer xorg-server/hald setup, or is it OK?
10
11 I have the PCI version of the 6200, and I can confirm that 180.29
12 (stable for my arch) work great as well as the vesa framebuffer. I had
13 problems with the uvesa framebuffer a few kernels back, and never got it
14 to work, though I haven't tried since.
15
16 The rest of the nvidia guide looks good, though I do not use the same
17 options as the guide for my xorg.conf configuration. For example, I've
18 never had to set the VideoRam option in the device section, and set
19 things such as NoLogo, RenderAccel, etc in the screen section. Take a
20 look at [1] for all the options. That's the amd64 version, though it
21 should be similar if not the same for other architectures.
22
23 I don't use hal, so I cannot comment on that.
24
25 I would recommend using the nvidia-xconfig utility to configure another
26 xorg.conf once you get a basic X display running. It works pretty well,
27 particularly regarding 3D settings and multiple monitors, so it's a good
28 starting point from which to customize.
29
30 [1]:
31 http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/180.29/README/appendix-b.html
32