From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server-1.5 update/old kernel+old fglrx
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 01:29:16
1 On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:06:42 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > I absolutely HATE this about portage. Update your machine just
4 > thinking about trying a new piece of software and then find you cannot
5 > immediately go back. Gentoo was supposed to be about choice. Seems
6 > it's not about my choice anymore. Bummer.
7
8 You can tell before you perform the update that the old version is no
9 longer in portage, then you can copy the ebuild from /var/db/pkg to your
10 overlay (and run quickpkg for speed) before updating. Remember that
11 nothing is ever truly removed from portage, it is still in the CVS attic,
12
13 What would be handy would be a script that you run after you sync. If a
14 package you have installed is no longer in the tree, it copies the ebuild
15 to an overlay.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach. Those who cannot teach, HACK!