From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Uncle: qt-*:4 dependencies/blocks preventing world update
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:44:44
1 On Saturday 24 October 2009 02:46:32 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan E. Davis wrote:
3 > > I have read a number of different explanations and suggestions, some
4 > > of them regarding an earlier, yet similar, tanglement between versions
5 > > of qt-*. I've tried a number of suggestions, and I have unmerged and
6 > > remerged packages.
7 > >
8 > > I am now trying to individually merge packages with dependencies on
9 > > qt-*-4.5.2.
10 > >
11 > > I tried KDE 4.3.1, with some trepidation, and I have happily been
12 > > running gnome, save a couple of nits, and I have run into qt issues in
13 > > the past. I would like to uninstall kde4 (like it, but not well
14 > > enough to devote so many resources to it, and to have to upgrade
15 > > frequently and painfully). I would like to remove the KDE 4
16 > > installation, but keep the individual packages depending on kdelibs.
17 > > (K3b, etc.). Would this have an impact on this issue? This is off
18 > > topic, but how to uninstall EXCEPT what I want, of KDE4? Is this
19 > > reasonable?
20 > >
21 > > Thanks. I hope to solve this soon, but it's too early to know
22 > > whether the help on this list was enough. I changed USE flags, and
23 > > the same messages appear:
24 > >
25 > > <<SNIP >>
26 > >
27 > > Thank you,
28 > >
29 > > Alan
30 >
31 > Does this help any?
32 >
33 > root@smoker / # eselect news read 6
34 > 2009-09-27-qt_use_changes
35 > Title Qt 4.5.2 default USE flag changes
36 > Author Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
37 > Posted 2009-09-27
38 > Revision 1
39 >
40 > Qt version 4.5.2 has significant changes in the USE flags enabled by
41 > default.
42 >
43 > When upgrading, make sure you check and re-enable any USE flags you
44 > need.
45 >
46 > Depending on your system and installed packages, you might hit an issue
47 > where Portage is getting confused by this USE flag change, trying to mix
48 > old 4.5.1 ebuilds with new 4.5.2 ones, resulting in blocks.
49 >
50 > If this happens to you, please add the offending USE flags (usually
51 > 'qt3support' and 'dbus') in your USE= or switch to a desktop profile
52 > (eselect profile list). Check this post [0] for more details on this
53 > issue.
54 >
55 > [0] http://www.linuxized.com/p192
58 > root@smoker / #
59 >
60 > I have this in my USE flags and I didn't run into this that I recall.
61 >
62 > qt3 qt3support qt4
63 >
64 > I think they are planning to remove qt3 in the future. I'm not sure how
65 > close that future is tho. I think qt3support is the key here.
66
67 Other than the thread that Dale offers, have you changed your profile to the
68 latest 10.0? This had caught me out and went unmerging/emerging qt to get
69 things to work. I think it would have been easier if I had updated my
70 make.profile first which has the required default USE flags:
71
72 $ ls -la /etc/make.profile
73 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 54 Oct 22 10:03 /etc/make.profile ->
74 ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop
75
76 HTH.
77 --
78 Regards,