From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: HP A8 laptop install
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 20:37:11
1 On 05/14/2012 12:12 PM, James wrote:
2 > Well,
3 >
4 > I just got this new HP A8 laptop.
5 >
6 > After setting up the default windows, I modified
7 > the bios boot order to use the internal DVD. Then
8 > I inserted a 12.0 lived DVD. It put for
9 > small gentoo symbols across the top, then went
10 > blank after 3 minutes. The DVD drive was very active
11 > for about 5 minutes then silence?
14 > Any suggestions or install guides are most welcome.
15 > It's been a few years since I installed Gentoo on
16 > a laptop and lots has change. Right now, I'm downloading
17 > the 12.1 liveDVD to see if it will boot that. Both
18 > were the amd64-multilib version. The lived DVD work
19 > on other (older) 64amd machines I have.....
20 > If not then its on to to knoppix or ubuntu to
21 > see it will boot any linux distro.
22 >
23 > Years ago, when I last did a dual boot install, there
24 > was a windows method for shrinking the windows partition.
25
26 Amazing but true. In their help manual there is a section
27 about Disk Management, where you should see "Shrink a Basic
28 Volume".
29
30 > Then I repartitioned the drive and put
31 > gentoo on those new partitions. Has that approached,
32 > using grub changed? The guides I seen to be finding
33 > via google, look dated.
34 >
35 > I got a week
36 > or 2 to get the dual boot working correctly, or it
37 > goes back to Costco; so any advice is welcome.
38
39 For the same reason I decided to leave the factory boot block
40 alone and used the free downloadable BCDEdit utility to add
41 a second item to the Windows boot menu. Really nifty, it
42 even lets you chainload grub from there. When you install
43 grub, just remember to put its boot block on your gentoo
44 partition, not the Windows partition.