From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How many people use KDE?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:09:06
1 Linux Java <linuxjava <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I wanna to know KDE and Gnome which is more popular.
7 Well Hello Linux-Java,
8
9 I'll attempt to give you some non-subjective reasons
10 for KDE. Let me start out by saying, depending on what
11 you are doing and what are your key applications, Gnome
12 might be good for you. It's an excellent body of work.
13
14 However, hear are some of the reasons I like KDE, not that
15 all of these ideas are exclusive to KDE:
16
17 QT. As an engineer involved in embeddded product development,
18 nothing is close to being as cool as QT. QT is a corner stone
19 of KDE, so when I have to drill down into the morass of details
20 concerning display graphics, icons, etc, KDE's affinity for QT
21 is similar, only much more complex, than many of the graphical
22 technologies installed on embedded systems.
23
24 I believe that the future of GUIs will necessitate that one's
25 desktop environment be at least a cousin to the embedded devices
26 one is responsible for building and managing. QT's future looks bright.
27
28 JAVA: Unlike many linux folks, I believe that JAVA has a primary role
29 in the future of GUIs, applications, and many other aspects
30 of computing. I like the integration of KDE/QT/JAVA that the
31 kde camps sees and continues to enhance, for example:
32 http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/java/
33
34 Again, I'm not saying you cannot find these equivalents in Gnome, but
35 KDE fits my needs keenly. The real kicker is that KDE 4.0 is
36 suppose to be fantastic.
37
38 HTH,
39