From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about new USE flags for xf86-video-intel
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 17:58:13
1 On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I'm updating a system that's probably gone 2 or 3 months since its
3 > last update.
4 >
5 > ====================================================================
6 > !!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel" has unmet requirements.
7 > - x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.20.13::gentoo USE="dri -glamor -sna -udev -uxa -xvmc"
8 >
9 > The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
10 > any-of ( glamor sna uxa )
11 > ====================================================================
12 >
13 > This is the first time I've run into these options. A bit of Google
14 > detective work turned up some articles...
15 >
16 > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_glamor_first&num=1
17 > http://ickle.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/an-evening-with-glamor/
18 >
19 > ...which give the impression that SNA is the fastest option overall.
20 > The phoronix article also mentioned some instability issues with glamor.
21 > I'll probably be going with SNA. Does anybody else have any experience
22 > and/or opinions?
23 >
24 > --
25 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
29 I have no idea about performance but I've got udev and sna enabled at this time.
30
31 gandalf ~ # emerge -pv xf86-video-intel
32
33 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
34
35 Calculating dependencies... done!
36 [ebuild R ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.20.13 USE="dri sna
37 udev -glamor -uxa -xvmc" 0 kB
38
39 Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
40 gandalf ~ #
41
42 Be forewarned, or please report back if you can, but in my case on the
43 two Intel machines I have (one local, one my 84 year old dad uses) X11
44 stopped displaying anything after this update. As a quick fix I
45 removed the xorg.conf file completely to get a desktop back. This was
46 a couple of weeks ago. Removing xorg.conf worked on both machines and
47 I haven't gone back to figure out what happened and how to best
48 address it.
49
50 Good luck,
51 Mark